For the second year in a row, Mass Mentoring Partnership is honored to be an official charity partner of the B.A.A. Boston Marathon® on April 16. We want you to meet our amazing runners. Let’s go Team MMP!
Runner: Ryan Stirling
Longest run to date: Philadelphia Marathon – 26.2 miles
Favorite song to listen to while running: The Prize Fighter Inferno – The Margretville Dance
Favorite post-run snack: Peanut butter, banana, and chocolate milkshake
- Why did you choose to run the 2012 Boston Marathon for MMP?
- What has been the most rewarding experience of your training and/or fundraising so far?
- Tell me about your mentee! Have you told her about the Marathon?
- What do you think is the most important thing a mentor can do for a child?
- What is the best piece of advice a mentor can give?
- Complete this sentence: When I finish the Marathon, I will feel…
I volunteer for Stand and Deliver, a mentoring program that matches students from Lawrence High School to help them achieve academic success. I knew that Mass Mentoring helps Stand and Deliver so it was an obvious choice to run for MMP.
The most rewarding part of this experience has been the amazing outpouring of support from my friends and family. I have an app on my phone that notifies me when anyone donates to my Razoo page, so whenever I receive a notification I get very excited and show it to whoever I’m with at the moment! It is really fun.
When I told my mentee, Johanna, about the Boston Marathon she asked me if I was going to “win” the race. I had to explain that unfortunately, that was not going to happen but that I was going to try my best.
I think it is important for mentors to be there for their mentees – on good days and on bad days. Knowing someone is in your corner makes a tremendous difference.
Put your full effort into whatever you want to do.
If you would like to read more about Ryan or make a donation to his fundraising, please visit http://www.razoo.com/story/Stirling